Saturday, February 05, 2005

Conflicted

I'm really conflicted about what to write next. What started as a series of amusing stories became therapy for me as I worked through my memories.
-I just realized that I still haven't told about skipping school, the disaster that the St. Louis public shool system was in the 1980's, my neighborhood's reaction to desegregation, racing down the highway at 115 mph, the yuppie rehabbers at the neighborhood meetings, how to spot a narc, running away from home because my mom wouldn't let me go to a concert... Yeah, I have a lot more to say.

Somewhere along the line, this blog went from what I observed to more personal stuff. I guess in that way, it reflects life. My childhood was joyful -untouched by what I saw. And as I grew older, what I saw became what I lived. I was no longer the center of my universe. I was just another neighborhood kid trying to stay alive long enough to escape.

I'd never meant to get into the more personal (and painful) aspects of my life story. So if you notice a shift in my writing, that's why.
The completed book will include the story of my rape, because it's integral to the complete picture. My rape changed how I viewed my neighborhood, thereby changing the stories I tell. I think it will make a nice segue into the darker stories.

No comments: