Saturday, March 27, 2004

80's Clothes
Writing about my childhood during the 1980's just wouldn't be writing without the obligatory "I can't believe I wore that" entry. So for all you fans of 80's fashion; here ya go!

My earliest fashion memories stem from the late 1970's. Back then, clothing was comfortable and casual. Much like it is today. Children wore t-shirts and terry cloth, denim and velour. The colors were bland and earthy.
The advent of MTV changed all that.

We didn't have cable or satellite. Paying for television? What a frivolous expense! Yet, MTV style clothing began showing up in the stores. Matching sweatbands and legwarmers, previously available only at Danskin; were now everywhere. Colored tights, once the provence of little girls in cute dresses; were all the rage. It seems everyone was trying their hand at fashion design, and an entire generation suffered because of it. I'm not talking about the late 1980's, either. I mean the horrible, scary, early 1980's. The part of the decade that required you to change your style every month or so.

I remember babysitting all summer long so I could buy a pair on Nike shoes. Two months after I bought them, everyone was wearing Reebok. I was stuck with outdated shoes for an entire school year. But I learned a valuable lesson. I had 9 months to observe a fashion dance that I could never afford to keep up with, and I learned that dressing uniquely gives you more clout that dressing like the crowd. I would always be a fashion wanna-be, if I bought what we could afford. So, while others wore ruffled blouses with matching ruffled skirts, poufy sleeves and string ties; I wore what I liked.

I liked blue jeans and tee shirts without a logo. I liked deep, classy colors like emerald green, royal blue and chocolate brown. I only wore neon as an under tee shirt; so that when you roll up the sleeves, you see neon trim. I don't look good in neon.
Most of the kids in the neighborhood began wearing concert tee shirts. The problem with this was, each style had a stereotype attached to it. Polo shirts and khaki's were preppy, meaning you had tastes beyond your parents' income. Concert shirts were for burnouts, meaning you did a lot of drugs. Whatever was in that year was New Wave or Trendy, meaning you had no imagination. A mish-mosh of everything was low-grade Punk and a mish-mosh of clothes that clashed were hard core Punk. I fell into the low-grade Punk category. People thought I wanted to be Punk, but couldn't get away with dressing too crazy because my mom would kill me if I did.

No comments: