Thursday, February 05, 2004

The other half of the story

Catholic Charities was extremely rude. They treated me like I was garbage. I am not garbage, and I've never had a problem pointing that out to people. So when the woman on the phone spoke to me like I was less than the dirt beneath her fingernails, I let her know a few things.

I am white.
I am intelligent.
I am drug-free.
I do want my child. I also want my child to have a better life.
And they will never get their hands on my son.

I wasn't done yet, either. I kept her on the phone, letting her know my opinion of her assumptions about me. I asked if she understood how hard it was for me to even make an inquiry. I expressed disbelief in them ever handling an adoption, if this was the way they treated birth parents. I pointed out that my son was a gift, not a burden. And when she grudgingly apoligized, I stated the obvious. I said, "You are the sorriest representative of a company I've ever had to deal with." Then I hung up on her.

That's what happens when a redhead loses her temper.

No comments: